15th recipe in the 50 Shades of Summer.
It's been a while since I have blogged, have been crazy busy with work. I haven't really had the time to make anything during the time when there is natural light. So, I've started cooking in the weekends and trying to post them during the week. I am way behind in my '50 shades of summer' recipes! Sigh!
Okay, enough rant for one post. It feels great to be writing again! So, coming to the post.
Recently since the summer has begun this has been our staple breakfast. This is most basic version of breakfast oats recipe. It's quite versatile in terms of the consistency and the ingredients you can add to it. Please feel free to alter it according to your taste.
Also, thanks to Raji, my aunt who was patient while I was raiding her kitchen in attempts to get satisfactory pictures of the oats and who was also generous enough to lend me her camera :)
The Basic Breakfast Oats
- Take a pan and add the oats and 1 cup of water and a pinch of salt and set it to boil
- In the meantime, add the other cup of water and curd into a blender and blend till it forms a buttermilk consistency. Set it aside.
- Once oats is done, set it aside to cool.
- Take a ladle add oil to it and set it to heat. Once the oil starts to crackle, add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and asafoetida to it. When the mustard seeds begin to pop add it to the oats.
- Once the oats is cool add the buttermilk to it and mix well. The breakfast is set to be served :)
- You will know when the oats is done when the mixture thickens. It is normally done in about 7-10 minutes.
- Is it not essential to blend the curd with water, it just mixes well when blended.
- You could eliminate the cumin seeds if you don't want to add it. We, at home like cumin in our oats :)
Do let me know if you try it out :) You can either leave a comment here or you could write to me on myfoodchakra[at]gmail.com. Don't forget to follow the blog if you haven't done it already :)