Bangalore has been moody for the last two days, it has been nice and rainy and now it's going through a sultry phase. Which I absolutely dislike, Yes! I'm one of those people who loooves the rain. Watching it rain, the smell of rain and decorating puddles with tiny paper boats :)
Since, it has been nice and sultry I decided to make a summer recipe and make my list to an even 20. So, here is the 20th recipe of 50 shades of summer.
Badami haalu takes a bit of planning as it involves the almonds being soaked overnight. Please do not confuse this to the milk extracted from almonds. This is more of a summer drink or a nice light dessert.
- Soak the almonds in some water overnight
- Remove the peel and blend it into a fine paste
- Take the litre of milk in a heavy bottom pan and bring it to boil
- Take the saffron in a cup and add a table spoon of milk to it and allow it to sit until the milk changes colour.
- Add the almond paste to the the milk, mix well and allow it to boil in low heat for about 2 minutes
- Add the cardamom powder and saffron with milk and allow it to boil for another 2 minutes.
- Allow it to cool and refrigerate. Serve cold.
This is a version without any sugar or condensed milk. If you would like the badami haalu to be sweet please add about 200 ml of condensed milk while boiling (you could add it at any point in the recipe).
I recently started an Instagram account for myfoodchakra. Please follow it for all food related pictures from the blog and more.
Do let me know if you try it out :) You can either leave a comment here or you could write to me on myfoodchakra[at]gmail.com. Don't forget to follow the blog if you haven't done it already :)